Take big, deep breathes for 1 minute
- Does your Apple Watch keep reminding you to breathe? Use this tool or set aside time in the morning to breathe in your belly for 1 full minute. Focus on a 4 second inhale and 4 second exhale. If you feel better after 1 minute, add one more minute to decrease stress!
Eat slowly and try to eat alone at lunch
- When you are watching TV or eating in your car, you don't have the time to listen to your body. This can lead to overeating or eating fast which disrupts your digestion. When you eat slowly, you breathe slower and can listen to your hunger cues.
Read before you go to bed
- This is something I just started doing. Before I would watch tv until my eyes closed. Then I would drag myself to bed. As I started reading in bed, I realized that I got tired quicker and had a better quality of sleep. This also gives you a few minutes of silence that gets your body ready for sleep.
Wake up 5 minutes early
- I started waking up 15 minutes early and it has given me time to meditate, make my meals for the day and just feel better about getting to work. I didn't realize how much rushing around made me feel stressed until I stopped. Now that I have a few extra minutes in the morning, I have the freedom to explore more forms of "me time" like reading, journaling, and light yoga.
Journal for a few minutes
- When I am in a daily journaling routine, I can process things that are happening in my life better. It also gives me the space to be more creative. I simply journal about what I'm feeling in the moment, what's on my mind, what I want to get done that day, or a memory I want to cherish. I also use journaling to daydream about my future. I love to pretend or envision the life I desire.
Try practicing one of these 5 practices today to see how you like it! Do you feel relaxed? Tag us on social media @embodyfitnessatx with your "me time" practice!